NHCDG serves as a community location for literacy programs that enable students to improve their reading skills. The reading program promotes academic excellence. The program also helps students prepare for North Carolina's High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma program. Barbara Shoffner serves as the reading literacy educator.
We also provide ESOL classes to help students learn to speak, read and write the English Language. We help to strengthen student's skills at all academic levels. ESOL class objectives include:
- To provide information to help students with Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking.
- To help students identify and recognize the names of body parts, thus making visiting a physician for better communication.
- To provide quantitative Literacy to help students be aware of time, money, and temperature.
- To increase word recognition to improve participant’s understanding during casual conversations.
- To improve interpersonal skills through learning greetings and expressions.